Como, Colorado - Images and History
Contributed by Greg Kazel

A Scene at the DSP&P Roundhouse - Como, Colorado - 1885 (Photo 059) - 1885 -The front of the roundhouse after the boiler house was added, but before any of the wooden additions. George Mellen Photo.

"A Scene at the DSP&P Roundhouse - Como, Colorado - 1885."


A Scene at the DSP&P Roundhouse - Como, Colorado - 1885


(Photo 059) - 1885 - The front of the roundhouse after the boiler house was added, but before any of the wooden additions. George Mellen Photo. (This is a larger version of image 059F.)

"A Scene at the DSP&P Roundhouse - Como, Colorado - 1885."


PACIFIC HOTEL COMPANY COMO COLORADO


(Photo 62) - 1886 - The Gilman Depot Hotel was remodeled in 1885 into the Pacific Hotel, which stood next to the depot until it burned to the ground on Nov. 9, 1896. It was replaced by the Eating House in 1897. George Mellen Photo.

"PACIFIC HOTEL COMPANY - Como, Colorado - 1886."


The Como round house from the hill behind town


(Photo 21) - 1897 - The Como round house from the hill behind town. The two additions on the round house are visible by the different roof colors. The roundhouse are surrounding area is very much as it appears in photo #60, including the large racks full of metal near the blacksmith shop just to the right of the boiler house on the back of the round house.


View of the town of Como


(Photo 58) - 1897 - View of the town of Como from the hill behind town. The roundhouse with just the first wooden addition of 8 stalls, stands to the right in the photo. The dispatcher's office is visible to the left, and behind it, obscured by the smoke, is the hotel and depot. This is the time frame when the Pacific Hotel burned, and the Eating House was built, so it is not definite which hotel, if either, is behind the smoke!


The Como Roundhouse from a coal car on the coaling tower


(Photo 060) - 1898 - The Como Roundhouse from a coal car on the coaling tower. Engine 211 and the shop crew posed for this photo on the turntable in 1898. The boiler house with its original arched doors and windows is on the left. The two different wooden additions are clearly differentiated by the roof color change and glass-windowed doors (8 bay addition, light roof), and solid wood doors (5 bay addition, dark roof). The blacksmith shop sits next to the stone bays of the roundhouse, and the sand house sits just behind the carload of coal in the foreground. The ash pit (used to dump the hot coals from the locomotives) is also in the foreground. The corner of the tenement house is on the far right.


Engineer Clarence Adams and Fireman Mike Hoag


(Photo 244) - 1898 - Engineer Clarence Adams and Fireman Mike Hoag stand next to DL&G engine #203 in this 1898 photo at Como. Behind and to the left is the car repair shop. The wooden part of the roundhouse is behind and to the right, along with several cars.


zoom in on the cars behind the locomotive in Photo 244


(Photo 244)(zoom in on car) - This is a zoom in on the cars behind the locomotive in Photo 244 above.


Photo of Como taken after the second wooden addition was added to the Roundhouse


(Photo 072) - 1898 - This photo of Como was taken after the second wooden addition was added to the Roundhouse. The dark roof (first addition) and light roof (second addition) are clearly visible in this photo. (Notice the apparent opposite in photo 60, in which the first addition's roof is light, and the second dark!) The rooftops of the Dispatcher's Office (later the Library) and Eating House are visible at the back of the town buildings on the left. The depot is behind the large buildings in the center of town, and only its chimneys and roof peak are visible. Note the large fire scar in South Park behind the town.


The Como Eating House in 1900


(Photo 164) - 1900 - The Como Eating House in 1900. The depot's roof is visible on the right.


The interior of the Como roundhouse


(Photo 026) - 1902 - The interior of the Como roundhouse during the period it was used as a shop. (Engines were housed in the area behind this photo and in the wooden additions.) George Champion Photo.


The Como Roundhouse from the coaling tower in 1905


(Photo 005) - 1905. The Como Roundhouse from the coaling tower in 1905. Taken from nearly the identical location as the 1898 photo (#072), this view shows the changes which have occured over the last few years. Re-roofing has made the wooden additions appear as one, and changes to the smoke vents shows interior uses have changed. The boiler house is undergoing a boiler replacement, which required the removal of the stone wall between the door and window. The sand house has been expanded and re-roofed, and even the blacksmith shop roof and smoke vents have changed. This time period (late 1890s through 1910) was the heyday for Como, and these changes, as well as the large number of locomotives in the yard, represent the level of activity going on. C.O. David Photo.


The shop crew in front of the Rotary snow plow


(Photo 017) - 1909. The shop crew in front of the Rotary snow plow and wooden section of the Como Roundhouse in 1909.


Como and South Park, Colo. Dec. '09


(Photo 109) - 1909. The mainline has just been plowed out towards Denver in this snow-covered scene taken in December 1909.

"Como and South Park, Colo. Dec. '09."


The City of Como, and the railyards in their heyday.


(Photo 006) - 1910 - The City of Como, and the railyards in their heyday. This photo was taken from the hill behind town on August 1, 1910. The wooden additions have been re-roofed to appear as a single 13 bay addition. The stone section has only two engine vents on it as bays 1-4 were used as a machine shop (This is the area in which the interior photo is taken). Some other notes: The Depot (roof only visible) and Eating House are in approximately the middle of the photo, as is the dispatcher's office/library building (in front of the Eating House). Among other cars in the yard, a large derrick stands. Also visible in the town: Note some of the large business buildings and hotels. In the bottom right is "King's Row", seven nearly identical houses were moved here when the Town of King was abandoned. And a final item of interest: notice the white, square shaped house with the pointed roof just above King's Row, and compare its location to where it is sitting in the 1919 photo. You will notice the house was moved to the corner! (This is a very large image - the detail is worth the wait!)


tn-dspp-gk-026.jpg - 5824 Bytes


(Photo 281) - 1918 - The Como Depot painted in its gray with green trim paint scheme, and the Eating House behind . View is looking towards Boreas Pass.


The City of Como, and the railyards


(Photo 044) - 1919 - The City of Como, and the railyards. This photo was taken from a little higher up the hill behind town in about 1919. The 13 bay wooden addition is being torn town as business was declining. The smaller, 3 bay, addition was constructed during this same time. Notice the engine stacks have been put back on the stone bays as the machine shop made way for engine storage again. The dispatcher's office/library building, Eating House, and Depot are on the left, and the tenement house and coaling tower stand to the right of the roundhouse. In town, many of the same structures can be identified from the 1910 photo, including all of King's Row, and the "house that moved". George Champion Photo.


C&S #9 sits partly on the turntable at the Como Roundhouse in 1919


(Photo 182) - 1919 - C&S #9 sits partly on the turntable at the Como Roundhouse in 1919.


Como from the King Coal Wye/Mainline to Denver, in 1929


(Photo 003) - 1929 - Como from the King Coal Wye/Mainline to Denver, in 1929. From Left to Right in front of the city, you can see: The coaling tower, the tenement house, the roundhouse with the three stall addition, the roadway from Denver, the Library/reading room behind the Depot, the Depot, and finally the Eating House. The High Line over Boreas Pass is to the Right. John C. Oshier Photo.


The 3-stall addition to the Como roundhouse burned on the night of March 25, 1935


(Photo 052) - March 26th, 1935 - The 3-stall addition to the Como roundhouse burned on the night of March 25, 1935 when a birds nest was ignited by the locomotive set inside for the night. The wooden addition burned to the ground, severely damaging the engines and rotary snowplow inside. The stone wall of the original 6 bays held, and saved the remaining structure from the fire, but it was structurally damaged by the heat. John C. Oshier Photo.


Collapse of the water tank behind the Como round house


(Photo 141) - 1936 - Collapse of the water tank behind the Como round house. This tank was replaced before the abandonment of the railroad, and the new tank was sold and removed. Photo by Oshier.


The coaling tower and round house from South of town


(Photo 041) - 1937 - The coaling tower and round house from South of town. Notice the lack of other structures from earlier, and more prosperous times. Only the water tank (just on the left edge), an outhouse, and a converted box car next to the round house remain in this area, and a pile of sand in front of the outhouse marks the former location of the sand house. The large wooden door in the side of the boiler house fills the hole from the boiler replacement seen in photo #005


C&S #73 taking coal from the Como coaling tower


(Photo 091) - 1938 - C&S #73 taking coal from the Como coaling tower during scrapping operations. Richard Kindig Photo.


The Como Roundhouse after purchase by a dredging company


(Photo 096) - 1943 - The Como Roundhouse after purchase by a dredging company for use as their warehouse. All the original double hung windows were replaced by the triple-hung windows seen in this photo, and the boiler house was removed to gain access to the rear of the building. The depot and Eating House can also be seen in this 1943 photo looking towards Boreas Pass.


The rear of the Como Roundhouse


(Photo 840620) - June 20, 1984 - The rear of the Como Roundhouse.


The front of the Como Roundhouse


(Photo 840710) - July 10, 1984 - The front of the Como Roundhouse, shortly after its purchase by William G. Kazel. Immediate work was completed to brace rotting portions of the roof, secure the structure from livestock, and begin restoration of the stonework.


The North side of the Como Roundhouse


(Photo 850811) - August 11, 1985 - The North side of the Como Roundhouse. The front and back windows on this side were converted to doors when the wooden additions were constructed. The roof line of the wooden additions can still be seen: it sloped towards the pit, requiring the stone wall extension visible from about the midpoint to the rear of the roundhouse. Damage which can be seen to the stone was caused by the fire, and fighting the fire, which burned the final addition in 1935.


Como on July 15, 1986


(Photo 860715) - July 15, 1986 - Como on July 15, 1986, as seen from the approximate same location as photo #3 in 1929


Front view of the roundhouse


(Photo 19930808)- August 8, 1993- This front view of the roundhouse shows the stone restoration work reaching completion. Restoration of the existing doors, and replacements where required, is underway, and the new doors can be seen with their white paint. The turntable, possibly the original table from Como, is resting in the pit. Greg Kazel Photo.



The Narrow Gauge Circle is written, maintained,and hosted by:
Mark L. Evans
Send Comments to:Mark L. Evans

All original materials, text, and digital images Copyright © 1996-2014 Mark L. Evans. All rights reserved. Imitation is said to be the "sincerest" form of flattery.....Please don't flatter us without permission.